Hospitality, Tourism and Event Management Program
Hospitality, Tourism and Event Management (HTEM) is the world’s largest and most diverse industry. Our students prepare to launch their careers in one of the fastest growing and most dynamic global fields. We provide students with the management, preparation, problem solving and communication skills required for a career in this demanding profession.
An HTEM degree can lead to a myriad of employment opportunities. Graduates of our program often excel in careers in hotel, resort or restaurant management, event and conference organization, food and beverage sales and marketing, concert and festival planning, wedding coordination, amusement park management or cruise line services.
Our program is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Programs in Hospitality Administration and is an institutional member of the International Council on Hotel, Restaurant and Institutional Education. Students are also encouraged to participate in our student chapter of Eta Sigma Delta, an international hospitality management honor society or one of our registered student organizations for enhanced networking and hands-on learning experiences.
The HTEM program has had a 100% retention rate two of the last three years, with 70% of our students employed in the hospitality and tourism industry within 90 days of graduation. Our small-scale program allows students to have one-on-one interaction with professors daily. Enrollment in HTEM was 59 in academic year 2019-20 with 27 degrees conferred. The student to faculty ratio is 11.8:1.
Cater to your career desires. The sky is the limit. The SIU College of Business and Analytics supports HTEM students with career services and learning opportunities within and beyond the classroom through internships, community service and excellent academic training.
HTEM Program Learning Outcomes
- The HTEM program will graduate students who will be able to identify and demonstrate skills relevant to the operational areas of hospitality and business management.
- The HTEM program will graduate students who will be able to communicate effectively.
- The HTEM program will graduate students who will be able to apply hands-on and real-world experiences necessary to become successful professionals.
- The HTEM program will graduate students who will be able to think critically.
- The HTEM program will graduate students who have developed an awareness of community service, ethical values, and social responsibilities in a multicultural environment.
Dr. Niki Davis
HTEM Program Director
College of Business and Analytics
Southern Illinois University
Carbondale, IL 62901
618 | 453-7516
618 | 453-7835 Fax
HTEM Mission Statement
The Bachelor’s degree in Hospitality, Tourism, and Event Management prepares graduates for leadership positions in the hospitality industry through foundational knowledge of hospitality operations and business experiences that promote diversity, ethical responsibility, lifelong learning, and community engagement.